8-Week Training Program
The Eight-Week TechCelerator for Budding Entrepreneurs
Getting ready to take the plunge? This in-depth course is designed to help you identify potentially successful business opportunities while avoiding some of the pitfalls associated with starting a business.
Don’t be afraid to get your feet wet! Over an eight week period, you’ll hear from successful entrepreneurs, business support professionals, and even private and institutional investors on how to develop a business plan that really holds water! You’ll come away from this two month course with a list of best practices, lessons-learned, and a comprehensive toolbox that helps you evaluate successful business ideas.
If you have a new tech-based business idea that you’ve been kicking around - Accelerate it! The Program requires a time commitment of at least 90 minutes per week on eight successive Tuesdays.
SIX ENTREPRENEURS WILL GET THE CHANCE TO COMPETE FOR $10,000!
Those chosen to participate in this exciting opportunity will receive up to $1,000 toward professional service fees (legal and accounting), and will have the chance to compete for $10,000 to get the business off the ground. Business mentoring from Ben Franklin’s Transformation Business Services Network and Penn State’s Small Business Development Center staff will be available at no cost.
During the course of the Boot Camp you’ll hear from successful entrepreneurs, business support professionals, and even private and institutional investors on how to develop a solid, fundable business plan. You’ll come away from this experience with a list of best practices, lessons-learned, and a comprehensive toolbox that will help you start your own tech-business.
The Eight-Week program begins October 22, 2013.
- Introduction and Course Orientation
- What is the Technology Idea? Intro to “2-minute Stand-up”
- Basic IP – Documentation, Public Disclosure, Patents, Trademarks etc.
- 2-minute Stand-up, version I
- Problem Definition and Customer vs. Consumer
- Networks and Need-finding
- Estimating Operational Costs; Estimated Start-up Costs
- 2-minute Stand-up, version II
- Eliminate Uncertainties - Technology, Market & Business
- Market Research – Market, Competition, Regulations, Customers & Business
- 2-minute Stand-up, version III
- Commercialization - Iterations & Minimal Viable Product
- Market Validation – Target Market
- Cost, Pricing and Revenue Models
- Present 4-minute Stand-up – Questions and Feedback
- Entrepreneurial Dinner Session – Hear their story
- Basic Legal – Business Structure, Ownership & Share implications
- Building your Team – Internal and External Considerations
- The Business Model - Creating Value and Sustainability
- Basic Financials – Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet, Income Statements
- Funding Options
- Plan for Further Action
- Final Presentations to the Panel (& your Peers and invited Guests)
Don’t hesitate to apply!
Spring 2012 Winners
Lin Wang, CEO, and Dr. Tony Jun Huang, CTO, of Ascent Bio-Nano Technologies LLC
Fall 2012 Winners
Dr. Kevin Irick, CEO and Founder of SiliconScapes